Training Camp 2016-17
Training camp has come and gone, in quite a bit of a blur for fans, players and management.
There was a fair share of new and familiar faces around FirstOntario Centre this week, but sadly organizations can’t run with 40 roster players. The Hamilton Spectators’ Teri Pecoskie tweeted out the training camp cuts Thursday afternoon. This gives some breathing room to the young men who will be dressing in the new Black and Gold tonight for the first time.
- Joseph Mizzi (7th round, 2014, 2015-16 Hamilton Bulldogs, GP-54 G-2 A-2 Pts-4 PIM-22)
- Kristopher Lalonde (6th round, 2015)
- Jake Ricketts (10th round, 2015)
- Jake Murray (4th round, 2016)
- Derek Seguin (6th round, 2016)
- Hunter Nofs (11th round, 2016)
- Kyle Fisher (13th round, 2016)
- Jack DeSando (Free Agent, London Knights Jr. Midget)
- Cameron Wright (Free Agent, St. Michael’s Buzzers)
- Marc Stevens (Free Agent, Guelph Storm),LeDonne and Donofrio
- Brandon Scanlin (9th round, 2015)
- Tyler Spott (7th round, 2016)
- Trevor LeDonne (11th round, 2016)
- Nick Donofrio (5th round, 2015)
Rookies who made the cut and could play OHL hockey for the first time this season include 3rd overall pick Connor Roberts, 2016 import selection Marian Studenič, along with forwards Zachary Jackson, Isaac Nurse, defender Riley McCourt, and goaltender Cole Ceci.
Fingers crossed the 25 young men who made the roster this week remain healthy throughout the year. The Bulldogs organization struggled through what seemed like far more than their fair share of man-games lost to injury time last season.
There is still one cut to be made from the roster to fit into the 25 man limit. Adam Laishram didn’t participate in the camp as he’s recovering from mononucleosis. This ads some intrigue to the decisions that Gruden, Smith and Staios will make in the next three weeks. It will be interesting to see who is assigned to the Ancaster Avalanche as first option call-ups, a partnership that proved to be an excellent opportunity for Gordeev, Ceci and Jackson for a short time.
Featured Image: Barry Gray / The Hamilton Spectator